Thursday, April 06, 2006

My Bear "Hunting" experience

a little while back, Jason asked me to write about a time when i was in trouble simply by being somewhere, well here is a classic example.

i knew a guy who was into hunting, he liked guns, he wanted to kill things etc etc...but the only problem was that he didn't really know any of the common sense safety issues that one should know when dealing with fire arms.

he wanted to take me bear hunting one sunday afternoon, and against my better judgement i went.

you have to know that i am absolutely petrified of bears. i have dreams about bears eating me on a regular basis... so i thought i want to conquer my fear of bears.

so there we were driving down this logging road in my 78 Nova with loaded guns looking for bears to shoot when down the hill we saw a black bear.

we parked my car and approached the furry burly killing machine on foot. the guy with the rifle approached the bear, and we stood back...he creeped closer and closer until he felt he had a good shot. we waited and waited, the bear didn't seem to see him... and then all of the sudden, he fired his rifle and the noise was deafening.

but the bear didn't topple over like we expected...the bear clambered into the brush on the side of the road, and instantly the shooter ran into the bush after it.

then one of the people who had stood back ran into the bush as well with a shotgun leaving me and another friend standing on the road wondering what to do.

now this was an intensely dangerous situation, there is a wounded, very angry bear, and two 19 year guys running towards each other with loaded guns and fingers on the trigger through the bush with no visibility. any number of things could go wrong... let me list a few

1. the bear might come back to the road and see me standing there and kill me

2. the guys running through bush with loaded guns might shoot each other, and then the bear would find me and kill me

3. the guys with guns may shoot randomly in the bush not knowing where the other people are and kill me

anyways, this remains as one of the classic examples of how being somewhere can get you into big trouble even if you are not looking for trouble.

6 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have a pet bear. A polar bear would be ideal, because its the biggest and most fun and cuddly looking. The only problem is I would have to live somewhere insanely cold and I hate cold weather. But me and my bear could cuddle. Because how rad would that be. and then we'd go sledding... you know how polar bears go down on the ice on their bellies... aww so cute. I want one. Of course I also wish that if I lived somewhere cold I could have a pet penguin, because I also love penguins. But the bear would eat it. So I think I should just go for a grizzly or something so I can stay here. I just don't know if it would be as soft and cuddly.
I like bears. of course, tame nice bears that don't want to eat me.

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some jokes to cheer you up. To campers were hiking in the woods when suddenly a bear starts chasing them. Both campers start running for their lives when one of then stops and starts to put on his running shoes. His buddy says, "What are you doing? You can't outrun a bear!" His friend replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to out run you!"
"I thought you were going bear hunting".
"I was. Then I saw a sign that said bear left so I came home."

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like bears ... if their far away ... if their close then they are scary ... specially if they are lots bigger then me ..But i think that their cute if they dont hurt me :) i dont think you should kill bears ... its mean how would you like to be hunted down and shot at ????? its not very nice :P i ofcourse dont know what it is like to be hunted down and shot at .. but i prefer to not find out :)
(they didnt kill it .. did they??)

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Pastor Phil said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Pastor Phil said...

Victoria,

i'm pretty sure that we didn't even hit the bear. there was no evidence that suggested that the bear was anything more than scared. we looked a long time for any clues... i.e. blood.

i guess i'm glad that we didn't hit the bear. i really had nowhere to put him in my car.

we may have had to eat him right there and then... i would have been very full, but think about how ironic it would be for a human to kill a bear and eat it instead of the other way round.

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, I guess if you were planing on killing and bringing home a bear you would most likely drive a truck .. a big truck ... once on our way home from my cuzins house (they live in cranbrook) There was a big bear on the side of the road dead... i guess it got hit by a car or somthing .. i feel sorry for the people who had to clean that up :)i should probably feel sorry for the bear :P would bears even taste good .. i think it would be gross!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home