Tattoo's and wedding rings
i forgot to wear my wedding ring to work today. what a wierd feeling. my ring is something that defines who i choose to be. it is funny how a symbol can be so incredibly significant.
my hand feels naked without it. i made a point to call becky to tell her that i forgot to wear my ring. it is sort of a big deal... i don't like forgetting my wedding ring. my ring shows everyone that i am promised to someone else, that i am willing to die for a special woman somewhere nearby. i am proud to be married to Becky, i take it very seriously... i am passionate about her.
in my relationship with Jesus, i have no outward symbol that distinguishes me as a Christ follower. the bible tells us that our actions are like our wedding ring to Christ. the way we interact at school, work, and in life shows people that we are promised to God.
there was a time when i really wanted to have a tattoo... i still sort of do... but i wanted to have some Christian symbol to show my love and dedication to Christ. i started asking Jesus if i should do it... he didn't say don't get a tattoo, instead He told me that if i let Him he would make it 100x more obvious that i love Him than a tattoo could ever be.
i guess the hard part is letting Him make me into that person... i guess in reality, He is trying to make me into a little Christ.

9 Comments:
so before everyone emails and posts comments, sometimes my spelling is bad, and i don't capitalize He when refering to Christ. it is not out of disrespect... i just haven't figured out how to edit yet on Blogger.
I like that part about our actions being our 'tattoos' of being dedicated to God. That's pretty sweet. I kinda wanted a tattoo for a little while, might still get one, Im not sure, but I think that if I do get one, it would be more of a reminder to me, personally, rather than to everyone else. I would rather have my ations be my 'tattoo' for Jesus... that's rad.
*actions
John 13:35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." It drives me nuts when Christians feel that they have to wear their WWJD, FROG bracelets, witty Christian T-shirt, a golden cross around their necks and a Jesus fish on their car to be a proud Christian.
To me, being a follower of Christ is more about the attitude of the heart than anything I wear/own. Sometimes I wonder whether people do those things to try and convince themselves that they are Christians instead of being a witness of Jesus Christ.
Well here we go again. I had a comment all made up but the computer decided to delete it. I think that I'm the only Lifeline sponser right now at this point with a Tattoo. I know there are a few others that want one. I got my tattoo to use as a conversation starter. Some might think that, that getting a needle stuck in your arm thousands of times is a bad way to show your love for God. Im a shy guy and its hard for my to go up and just talk to people about God. So when people see my tattoo, they are always like, what does it say/mean? I will always tell them. It says "To Forgive, To Send Away" When Jesus died on the cross that day, all of our sins, ones we have committed and ones that we will in the future have all been forgiven, and sent away from us. Gods love is soo amazing. He can forgive us, in our so unperfect state we are in, and let us into His perfect Heaven. So anyone out there that ones to see that Tattoo, just ask.
So what kind of tattoo would you want to get. personally i've always wanted a tattoo of some kind like a snake or something like that but i don't know what good it would do me. anyways i hope you wear your wedding ring to youth tonight
Hi my name is james,Im kinda new here,im derek's friend anyway I think thats good that you feel odd about forgetting to wear your wedding ring,It shows that you are loyal to your wife amd you care about her.Your a good guy
hey its james again I just read Ryam S' comment and I wanted to agree I hope you wear your ring tonight
Ryan,
something that i have wanted to get inked was sort of related to this post.
i have wanted to get a portion o my wedding vows tattooed on my wrist or forearm. i am also thinking about getting something related to my son...like his birthday, or initials.
Post a Comment
<< Home